How to Choose a Rehabilitation Program
Rehabilitation is a complex process -- and many factors can contribute to the success of your rehab program. Choosing a rehabilitation program that best suits your needs is the first step in reaching your goals. The following questions provide guidelines for making this choice.
- Is the program accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAHO)?
Facilities that have CARF accreditation are inspected at intervals to assure high quality of care. The JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute (JRI) in Edison, New Jersey is a CARF-accredited comprehensive rehabilitation program, and JCAHO accredited.
- Is the facility licensed by the State of New Jersey as a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation hospital?
The facility should be licensed by the State of New Jersey as a Comprehensive Rehabilitation Facility. The JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is licensed by the New Jersey State Department of Health.
- Are the physicians on staff board-certified physiatrists or doctors of physical medicine and rehabilitation?
Board-certified physiatrists have specialized training and expertise in the rehabilitation field. JRI physiatrists are board-certified.
- In an emergency, is there a hospital nearby?
Quick access to an emergency room is vital in some situations. JRI is located in the same building as the JFK Medical Center's Emergency Department in Edison, NJ.
- Is there 24-hour nursing available by specialized rehabilitation nurses?
All three shifts of nursing should be adequately staffed around the clock. At the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute in central NJ, 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care is provided.
- Is therapy available at least five days a week for three hours per day?
This is the minimum therapy acceptable to be licensed as a comprehensive rehabilitation facility in New Jersey. At JRI, therapy services are a vital component of inpatient stay to help reach your goals for a smooth transition to the next level of care.
- Will my insurance plan cover my rehabilitation stay?
Unexpected or unforeseen expenses may be worrisome. At JRI, your insurance coverage will be reviewed with you during the pre-admission process so that you know exactly what to expect.
- Will my family play a role in my rehabilitation program?
Both you and your family members should be an integral part of your rehabilitation plan. At the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute, family involvement is a critical element of your care and support throughout your inpatient stay.
- Will you help me prepare for discharge?
Early on in your stay, you and your family are involved in the discharge planning process. You should know exactly what the plan is for your recovery. All equipment should be ordered and follow-up care agencies should be arranged (e.g., home care, outpatient therapy, etc.). The JRI rehab team works with you and your family to involve you in this process and make discharge a smooth transition.
If you are currently at home and wish to be considered for admission, please call our Rehabilitation Medicine Department at 732-321-7070 to schedule an appointment with one of our physiatrists for pre-admission evaluation.
Prior to your admission you and your family are welcome to call Client Services at 732-321-7733 to schedule a tour of our facility.